Our top picks of the best brushes, perfect for powder or liquid foundation.
What is the best foundation brush?
Foundation brushes can rank as important as foundation itself. Without the best foundation brush to apply your foundation, it can appear uneven or even caked on. However, with the right brush, your skin can look flawless and airbrushed. Brushes can also work with different types of formulas like a cream, liquid or powder foundation. There are also different types of brushes depending on the foundation type you’re using. Each provides a different finish for the foundation you apply. That can range from full coverage to an airbrushed look depending on the type.
Best Brush For a Full Coverage Cream or Liquid Foundation
Best Foundation For Medium Coverage and For Powder Foundation
Best Brush for Precision and Liquid Foundation
Best Brush For An Airbrushed Foundation
Best Brush For Powder Foundation
Tips For Choosing The Best Foundation Brush
- Choose your foundation brush based on the type of foundation you use.
- If you use a liquid foundation; a sponge, stippling, flat top or overall face brush will work.
- For cream foundations, it’s ideal to use a stippling or flat top brush as it’ll allow for smoother application. However, you can use a sponge to blend cream foundations.
- Kabuki brushes are best for powder foundations since they don’t allow for fall out for powder based makeup products.
- For more precision, choose a stippling, flat top or sponge brush as they’re able to reach the crevices of the face. They also allow for an evener application and decrease the visibility of pores.
- A stippling brush is perfect for sheer and even coverage.
- A basic overall face brush is perfect for overall coverage depending on the foundation you use.
- If you use a liquid formula with a face brush, you’ll begin with full coverage. That means to apply your product sparsely as possible so your foundation doesn’t look streaky.
- If you want the best brush for a dewy coverage, it’s best to use a sponge wet.
- A flat top brush is perfect for covering up minor blemishes on the face.
- If you’re looking for an overall quick brush, always choose a kabuki, face or sponge brush since they require the least amount of effort when applying makeup.
- Synthetic brushes are best for liquid foundations, meanwhile, natural brushes are usually used for powder foundations.
How To Take Care of Foundation Brushes
- Make sure to replace sponges every 2-3 months as they collect bacteria quicker than other types of brushes.
- Wash rounded and kabuki brushes weekly.
- Wash flat top and stippling brushes daily as they collect the oils on your face on a daily basis. This will prevent you from breaking out often too. The same applies to sponge applicators.
- Remember when choosing your foundation brush, that it is an investment, so make sure to choose brushes that have softer fibers that aren’t irritating to the skin. That applies specifically to those with sensitive skin.
- Remember to always blend your foundation with your brush as fingertips have natural oils in them that can make your foundation appear streaky.
- If you want a dewy application, you may wet your brush lightly. However, don’t drench it as it’ll make your foundation appear uneven. The only exception being with the sponge, where the makeup will apply smoothly regardless.
- In order to clean your brushes, you can buy brush cleaning formulas.
- You can use oil to remove excess makeup and rinse the brushes with baby shampoo and let dry.
Top 5 Brands Of Foundations To Try
- Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation with Comfort Serum – This foundation lasts all day and moisturizes the skin. It also provides medium to full coverage depending on how much you decide to layer.
- Mac Studio Fix Powder Foundation – This foundation is great for oilier skin types as it reduces shine but also has medium coverage.
- Max Factor All Day Flawless 3-in-1 Foundation – This is great for all types of skin, even combination skin. It acts as a primer, foundation, and concealer while providing light coverage.
- Make Up Forever HD Foundation – This foundation has a wide array of shades for every skin shade and gives full coverage to the face.
- NARS Sheer Glow Foundation – This product is great for a sheer natural application, it evens out your skin tone and gives a satin finish.
Just as a person wants the best foundation for their skin, finding the best foundation brush is just as important. Without the right type of brush, the foundation can look streaky and uneven. You can achieve any type of coverage or look with a foundation as long as you choose a brush that works well with your foundation formula. Remember to keep your brushes clean and you can have the appearance of flawless skin.